With proper storage, food can last longer,
which can lead to less waste and more money in your pocket.
Tips for food storage
- Take produce out of the plastic bags as they can speed up the decay process.
- Only wash produce when you are ready to eat it. The moisture can lead to growth of mould.
- Leave fruit stems on and keep fruit whole for as long as possible.
- Eat the most perishable items first, such as berries.
- Do not store fruits and vegetables together. The ripening agent in fruit, ethylene, can cause surrounding vegetables to ripen and spoil faster.
Still tasty can tell you how long a food is good for depending on how it has been stored. Storage conditions include opened or unopened, and stored in the fridge or freezer. They also have other information on food storage and shelf-life.